Latest redesign

I drove the car for a while as a VW based kit car, Then built a tube frame and made a terrifying 500 Cubic inch V8 monster, now it is time to do something completely different. I am building a Geo Montage, or Manta Metro, whatever you want to call it. When the car was a VW it was easy to work on but had no reliability and was not much fun to drive with the stock VW setup. The 500 in it was much faster and I doubt there is anything on the road that could have beat it but I would have probably ran into a tree at 200mph in it if I would have kept driving it. The car was not really better in this configuration. It had a much safer frame and better brakes but it just wasn’t a nice car to drive. It was also a nightmare of random parts so when something broke it took forever to figure out what car it came from in order to get a replacement. It was usually easier to just redo it with some other random parts.

Now my current plan is a bit different than most people who own a kit car like this but that is what makes it good. My goal is to make it as close to 100% mechanically a Geo Metro with all parts not custom made just stock Metro parts. This solves the reliability and ease of repair problems I have had in the past. The Geo engine is not faster than the VW by any significant margin but the Canadian version came with a turbo option and I will be trying to fit that onto my car. And the last thing will be I will try and fix some of the bad design in the car and make it a much more comfortable and fun daily driver. When I get done I want standard features like air conditioning and cruise control, I want to be able to drive it for 6 hours without killing myself, I want to be able to drive it in all weather conditions so a good heater and wipers are needed. I also want to get excellent mileage. The stock Metro with a few mods can easily get 60mpg I am hoping to beat 70mpg with normal driving. Once I add the hybrid drive system I built in a previous car to this one I should be able to get 100mpg daily driving as long as I remember to plug it in at night to recharge.

May 26 2016 – Working on cargo area layout

May 25 2016 – Start of framing up trunk and rear fenders

May 17 2016 – Trunk Hinges

May 04 2016 – Trunk Lid Cut Out

Apr 30 2016 – Finished Trunk Lid and Measuring for Cuts

Apr 20 2016 – More Fiberglass Work

Apr 10 2016 – More Fiberglass Work on Trunk Lid

Apr 04 2016 – Started Fiberglassing the Trunk Lid

Apr 03 2016 – Started Reshaping the Back End

Mar 25 2016 – Forming a wing

Mar 23 2016 – Trunk Lid Bolted Down

Mar 21 2016 – Aligning the trunk lid

Mar 20 2016 – Finished Dropped Spindles and Heater Box

Mar 19 2016 – Installing Dropped Spindles

Jul 08 2015 – Wiper Assembly Installed

Mar 29 2013 – Pedals remounted and starting on wipers

Mar 24 2013 – Firewall and pedal mounting started.

Mar 22 2013 – Back half of the floor area built

Mar 21 2013 – Starting on the floor

Feb 16 2013 – Body lifted 1 inch

Aug 07 2012 – Gas tank, floor, and radiator installed

Aug 06 2012 – Shifter installed

Aug 04 2012 – CV axles installed

Aug 02 2012 – Gas tank finished

Aug 01 2012 – Steering installed and started on gas tank

Jul 30 2012 – Rear suspension mounted

Jul 29 2012 – Headlights mounted

Jul 27 2012 – Throttle and clutch cables installed

Jul 26 2012 – Pedals and steering column installed

Jul 22 2012 – Engine installed and front suspension mostly installed.

Jul 18 2012 – Front end completed

Jul 17 2012 – Front suspension mounted

Jul 15 2012 – Front suspension ready to install

Jul 13 2012 – Stripping and updating the front suspension

Jul 12 2012 – Rear done and starting on front suspension

Jul 11 2012 – Rear mostly complete

Jul 10 2012 – Rear suspension located in place

Jul 08 2012 – Drivers side rear lower suspension moved

Jul 07 2012 – Modification to the rear track

Jun 29 2012 – New rims and tires

Jun 24 2012 – Rear frame nearly finished

Jun 22 2012 – Trunk latch made

Jun 20 2012 – Trunk hinges built

Jun 18 2012 – Rear toe bars and removing the test motor

Jun 17 2012 – Strut towers built

Jun 15 2012 – Engine mounts built

Jun 12 2012 – 2 of 3 motor mounts built

Jun 11 2012 – Starting rear subframe

Jun 10 2012 – Rear suspension welded in place

Jun 09 2012 – Redoing the rear suspension

Jun 07 2012 – Rear suspension positioned

Jun 06 2012 – More rear suspension work.

Jun 05 2012 – Building rear suspension

May 20 2012 – Round Headlight Conversion Completed

May 19 2012 – Round headlight conversion started

May 18 2012 – Cut the back half off the car