Cleaned up the lifter valley and stripped the heads down.
Well a flat screwdriver, shop vac and drill with a wire brush works pretty good to get the crud off. I plugged all the oil drain holes with rags and scraped all the hard stuff off while vacuuming it up with a shop vac. after doing that for a hour or so I got all the big stuff off it. I finished by using a wire brush on a drill and cleaned it up real good. I didn’t get into taking the motor out, I’ll save that for later when I go nuts with horespower.
I have the heads stripped down and ready to ship off and have them worked over a bit. They will be shaved about .025 to raise the compression a bit and a basic porting done to them. I figure with those heads flowing a bit better and a good sized cam in it I should have less bottom end power and more top end power so the power band will be good for driving.
Next thing up is to rip the front accessories off the engine and maybe pull the gas tank out and get it out of the way depending on how much room I need to get the cam out the front of the engine. Once the engine is apart I will start moving on to finishing up the rest of the junk in the car that needs attention. There is enough stuff to finish that it will keep me busy for the next few months probably. If everything works perfectly(it wont) then I can get the car done and on the road around May.