Tearing down the engine to do some work to it.
Well after building a garage now I finally have a place to work on stuff, It takes a long time to build a large building by yourself 🙂 here is a picture of my almost completed work area.
I had a bad valve in the engine. I was going to have to pull one of the heads and replace it but I figured I might as well do some of the basic work to get some power out of this thing while I have it apart. I plan on putting on an edelbrock intake, bigger cam and get the heads worked over slightly. I hope to get the power band moved up off the bottom end so it will not be so hard to launch it. When I took the intake off you can see on the first 3 pictures how nasty the engine is. It has like 2 inches of crud built up in it. The crud was so thick that it was almost surrounding some of the pushrods. I am really debating on pulling the engine completely out and having it hot tanked to get rid of that mess in it. I thought it was interesting that the size of the cylinders is so big that you can almost get the HEI distributor cap down the cylinders. It is hard to tell in the pictures but those bores are huge.
The next thing to do is finish stripping down the heads so they can be shipped off and while the motor is apart maybe I can finally get some wiring in the car and start getting it actually road legal instead of driving it around with the brake lights as the only thing working. I hope now that I have somewhere to work on it I can start making some real progress on finishing this thing.