Welcome to the page for my Manta Montage. The history of this car is rather interesting. It was the first car pulled off the molds when production of the Montage started. The old pinstriping was done by “Shaky Jake,” who was legendary for his ability to paint the stripes free-hand without taping. The car was used as a demonstrator and sat on the showroom floor for awhile. It was also used for the original sales brochure. Unfortunately, the car slowly went downhill, and when I got it, it was in rough shape. I don’t know what happened to the car from the time it went from being the demo car till I got hold of it other than a few facts I have picked up here and there, so if anyone knows anything about it, let me know. I do have one picture of this car with a sb chevy stuck in it; that probably explains the big hole that was in the trunk when I got it 🙂

engine Check out the restoration pages for a listing of all the work that was done to the car in order to get it back in road-worthy condition. The V8 conversion pages show changing the car from VW powered to a 500 cubic inch Cadillac engine.

I recently started working on the car again. I am changing motors, the 500 was just a bit more power than any sane person would need. I will be changing just about everything about the car this time. I am wanting to make a very good car that can be driven daily and still have good performance and comfort. I plan on having very good mileage, comfortable interior with enough creature comforts for a 10 hour drive, and ultimately adding power to it until it has enough performance to satisfy me.

Right now I am trying to get the new drivetrain in the car and get the basic work done to the car to make it a capable daily driver. Once that is done I will be adding more to it including a hybrid drive system and a turbo.

May 30 2018 – Working Brakes and Simple Electric Drive

May 26 2016 – Working on cargo area layout

May 25 2016 – Start of framing up trunk and rear fenders

May 17 2016 – Trunk Hinges

May 04 2016 – Trunk Lid Cut Out

Apr 30 2016 – Finished Trunk Lid and Measuring for Cuts

Apr 20 2016 – More Fiberglass Work

Apr 10 2016 – More Fiberglass Work on Trunk Lid

Apr 04 2016 – Started Fiberglassing the Trunk Lid

Apr 03 2016 – Started Reshaping the Back End